Sunday, February 25, 2007

Women kissing women - front page, top of the fold!

The front-page pictures are a revelation. A new day has dawned, to be sure. So, when are we going to jump on the “civil union” bandwagon?
Funny, now that the law is in force and happy same-sex couples are tying this sort-of knot in courts and in houses of worship, I am feeling the pressure of ceremony. It’s getting very personal. No matter what the state calls it, I am given over to musing on “marriage”. What’s it for?
Oh sure, there’s the legal protections. That is certainly a good reason to do it. And it will be a grand excuse for a party with family and friends… another sound reason. The materialist in me pesters with fantasies of Pottery Barn and the like gift registries, even though we have enough stuff and would probably opt for some charitable option. Well, a girl can dream, can’t she?
Deep down, though, I think we should “civil unionize” as, like I say in all those ceremonies I’ve conducted for others, an “outward symbol and expression of a sacred and awesome union of hearts, which this religious community may bless and the state may make legal, but which can be kept alone by abiding will and generous faith.”
It is in the spirit of such loving commitment that we have already been joined. The glow of romance and newness has long worn off. Stress, testiness, difficulties - they're all part and parcel of that “sacred and awesome” union, too. We will affirm it all.
Someday soon…

1 comment:

Kimberly Andersen said...

Yes, I think to some degree, in addition to doing it for yourself, you can do it for the rest of the world. For the people so very afraid of civil unions, it normalizes the ceremony, makes it seem like part of the world, not so scary. As for my family - well, we're going to our friends Mike and Steve's civil union ceremony next week-end, and we are THRILLED. I feel joy for them and joy for all of us that this is even possible. I consider their ceremony a gift to me!

And Pottery Barn really is great....