Monday, October 06, 2008

wink, wink; nudge, nudge... say no more!

I’ve relied on that little “winky” emoticon to denote when I am teasing or being a little flip in an e-mail message. I physically caught my fingers reaching for the keys earlier today and had to stop myself. I just can’t go there… after last week’s Vice-Presidential debate, I just can’t do it any more.

Not to get too political here, but I am really worried about the state of things. If a folksy, cutesy, snarky persona is all that is needed to get elected… I don’t even know what to say.

I, as a citizen and as a Unitarian Universalist, value democracy. I prize reason and intellect. I “get” ambiguity; I know that it (whatever "it" is - the world, our little lives, the meanings we make of things…) is all full of gray areas. Yea, that may be our very creed! We don't need it boiled down to simplistic messages or cheer-leading slogans.

So to see this immensely important election grinding on and twirling itself about on winks and jumbled facts and distortions makes me want to run and hide… is this what it's really all about? Oh, and I'm not talking about the hokey-pokey, either!

No comments: