Thursday, December 20, 2007

Rare bird...


I had just gotten home from a very busy Sunday at the Unitarian Universalist congregation that I serve. The house was quiet; the afternoon was grey and dreary. As I stood in the kitchen, my coat and gloves still on, I happened to glance out the window and noticed a lot of activity at the bird feeders.
Then I saw it. Leaves were being vigorously tossed about on the ground by a bird obviously foraging for a tasty snack. But what bird was this? It sort of looked like a robin, and in fact there were some other robins in the yard farther off. Yet this one was different.
So I carefully approached nearer to the window and stared and stared. Indeed, this was no robin. It had colors similar, but unique markings on its back and wings. All I could do was watch intently, not wanting to lose sight of it.
Then I decided I needed a closer look. So I tip-toed over to the bookshelf where my binoculars are kept, all the while hoping the bird hadn’t flown. (Well, not actually on my tippy-toes, but I did walk quietly and quickly so as not to disturb the birds - who were, may I remind you, outside!)
No, he was still there. So I looked some more, verifying the appearance and markings, committing them to memory. However, I didn’t think to also grab my camera and take a picture.
When the bird was gone, I got out my Peterson's Guide. There was no picture of this bird there, but a hint that it might have been a Varied Thrush - a “casual winter straggler from the Northwest” right here in my backyard! I then went to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website and confirmed my identification.
Yes, it was a rare visit to New Jersey from a northwestern species. But without a picture, you just have to take my word on it! Unfortunately, NJ Audubon or any other group that tracks such things will not just accept my assertion that this is what I saw.
All I’m asking is that you accept it on faith.
Now where have I heard that before?

2 comments:

suburban dyke said...

Acceptance on faith is necessary to just live. Belief requires more study but you have integrity and one does not forget a rare bird. I am impressed: I scare all the flying critters with my need to see that I may believe in my own yard.

Anonymous said...

There's a sermon in there somewhere---seeing a rare visitor and having the official people not take you at your word. Hmm.

m